Which microphones for EOS 1DX II?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Jacques Keller, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Jacques Keller

Jacques Keller New Member

Equipment:
    Oh well, some old gear.
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. I've shot EOS1HS, 1NHS, EOS 3HS many years ago, followed by an EOS 1D, then later an EOS 1d Mk. II. Been shooting with that until now, where I finally took the plunge for a more modern one, the EOS 1DX Mk. II, for more frames, more pixels, more customization and just as good: better iso performance. Never shot video before.

I noticed tonight a sale on Canon DM-E100 microphone really cheap, and bought one as it's got the 3,5mm jack for that on my camera.
    But, and here's a but: I cannot see it's compatible with my EOS 1DX Mk. II, only other models and series cameras.

So, will it work? How do I check that it's this external DM-E100, and not the built in miniature mic?
    I do realise that the camera may give prioritization to this external mic, but I am not sure and not sure if they will work together.

I read that the DM-E1 is compatible but that is a whole other ballgame, so I want to try this cheap one first. I basically just place the DM-E100 in the camera's hotshoe, and connect it's small jack to the socket in the camera. The hotshoe on this DM-E100 is not a hotshoe, but a coldshoe, so no connection there. Only through the wire and it's 3,5mm jack.

It would be nice to thread beginners shoes with this little microphone doing some video, and then later on, if it catches on, get a better spec'ed one, with lower noise such as 80db, and higher freq. band, say up to 18.000Hz.

All advices and comments are highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jacques

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'm struggling why the older e100 would not work, the new better ranged E1 uses power from the newer hot-shoe type available on the 1dX2, which is probably why thy are publicizing the E1. I am no mic enthusiast and don't either so I am just giving some feedback on my thoughts here, most mics using 3.5 audio should work.

For what its worth, I wouldn't spend 200-300 on a shotgun mic like that. You'd be far better of investing in a nice wireless mics setup https://www.dji.com/mic?from=store-product-page That would be 320 well spent.

3. Jacques Keller

Jacques Keller New Member

Equipment:
    Oh well, some old gear.
    Thanks Johnsey, for the reply.
    I am not looking for a mike system with many parts and which I am supposedly placing on subjects and on places. I am looking for a nice cheap system that sound natural, with less noise and higher freq. band. And one that sits on the camera. The DM-E100 ought to work reading from the very limited specs that Canon provides for the camera itself, but not reading from the DM-E100 spec sheet of compatibility itself. Hmm...
    Data specs should be far more precise, such as connector type, size, number of leads (3, 4 or?), supported system types, freq supported, s/n supported etc. Just my thoughts on the matter. I cannot read this stuff, as Canon does no provide sufficient info. And I went to two authorized Canon retailers, and thy couldn't answer the questions.
    I read and watched reviews for the E1 mike and it is absolutely no better, just more expensive, so waste of money. I may look into a Sennheiser mike. But for now, i paid only 50usd for the DM-E100 on sale, as I think Canon is dropping it from their programme, and anyway thinks it belongs on smaller cheaper cameras or similar. Now I need to find out if it actually works on this camera (1DX2) and how to adjust volume.
    Kind regards,
    Jacques