XA-11 and mic terminal

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by Kel Nick, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Kel Nick

Kel Nick New Member

Equipment:
    CANON XA-11
    New Rode VideoMic NTG
    I tried this a few years ago, and spent hours trying to get it to work. I thought I'd try again. I have a Canon XA-11 with a Rode (has power) mic. I plug it into the 3.5 mic terminal, turn the mic on, and still can't get sound. I have changed the camera's internal settings. The input is turned off. I have read the directions, so no use sending me a link to the manual. Can anyone help me please?

I teach videography to middle school students, so I'm not helpless when trying to fix things like this! Thanks so much!

2. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

I know nothing about video but I notice that you haven't said that you have tested the mic on another camera and proved that it works - or that you have tried a known working mic on your camera to see if it works. These are elementary steps in diagnostics but you haven't mentioned them, apologies if you have.
    This guy seems to have a lot of videos on your camera, they might help:-

3. Kel Nick

Kel Nick New Member

Equipment:
    CANON XA-11
    New Rode VideoMic NTG
    Hi Keith-thanks for the response. Yes, I have two of these cameras and this Rode mic won't work on either. The sound that is produced is full of static with an echo, and the sound is barely audible (so I guess it kind of works), which makes the internal mic WAY better. I watched this video, and he just talks about a 3.5 mic briefly, since this is such a simple thing to do. I am going to try to reach out to him on his YouTube page. Thanks for the video.

4. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

Either you have a dodgy mic or there is some compatibilty issue so best of luck, hope the video guy can help.